Monday, May 13, 2013

Watching out for Us

Several years ago, my family was watching a very skittish dog.  She was incredibly sweet, but wanted to be in her own home.  One afternoon, as the mailman was delivering a package to our house, she somehow got out the door and ran for her life not knowing that she very well could be running for her death.  My younger sister and I quickly began running after her.  I could not believe how quickly such a tiny dog could run! She ran down our street and onto another street.  We kept trying to catch up to her, but she was very determined to not get caught. Her home was only a few streets over, but she wasn't running towards that. She was running straight for a very busy road with three lanes of traffic. My little sister screamed and screamed to her to stop. I kept telling her that this was not going to help anything, but she didn't stop... she was desperate to stop this tiny dog that was obliviously running towards death. We got tired very quickly because I don't think either of us had ever run so fast in our lives. Right as she got onto the busy street, she ran along the road in the grass with cars whizzing past her. My sister started crying hysterically and I knew that we could not catch the little dog. Any second, she could dart out in the middle of the street. In those few seconds, I could not figure out what to do. Shield my sister from the horrible death that was about to happen, or try to catch up with the dog.  I certainly didn't want my little sister to run out in the street to try to save her and I was pretty sure she wouldn't but I had never seen her in a situation like this before. The whole time, I had been praying madly that somehow God could help me catch her. Right as the dog was veering towards the street, a car pulled up to the sidewalk. To stop your car on this road is insane. A young lady jumped out of the car and yelled for us to stop chasing her. She told us to corner the dog and while my sister was still crying, we finally caught the dog. With tears of my own welling up in generosity, I thanked the lady profusely and gave her a hug. I don't remember all that I told her, but I know what I was thinking. This lady was amazing to stop on the side of the road to help strangers catch a little dog. She told me that she couldn't watch it happen before her eyes. She hugged both my little sister and I again, and got in her car and drove off. As we walked home, my sister slowly stopped crying and I held the squirming dog very close to me. I thanked God many times that day for answering my prayer and sending me someone to help.

"And this same God that takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:19

What has God been doing for you, lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for commenting!! :)